Wakefield Court House

It is good to see the Court House emerge from under the scaffolding and protective coverings. The Court House is a Grade 11* listed building, Land was purchased in 1806, and the Court House built for the West Riding magistrates to a design provided by Charles Watson. A delay in completion was reputed to be because there were problems obtaining large enough blocks of stone for the pillars, but Quarter Sessions were held there from 1810. The building was extended in 1849-50 and again in the 1880s. County Courts ceased to be held there in 1992, and it was sold to the private sector. It was allowed to fall into decay and was placed on Historic England’s ‘At Risk’ register in 2013. The Council bought it back and from 2018 it has undergone a major project to make it structurally sound and in a condition for it to be sold. 

Wakefield Crown Court

Wakefield Crown Court

Leave a comment

The banner at the top of this page is based on an engraving of Wakefield by Samuel Buck: view original
© 2011 Wakefield Historical Society. All rights reserved. All articles and images are the copyright of the authors and/or Wakefield Historical Society unless otherwise stated and are not to be copied in any medium without explicit written permission..
Every attempt has been made to gain permission from the owner(s) of copyright material.
The Society is not to be held responsible for the accuracy of content, and does not necessarily endorse views held on this site.If you find broken links or other website problems please contact the Website Manager : info@wakefieldhistoricalsociety.org.uk

Wakefield Historical Society © 2020. All rights reserved | Registered charity No. 248363
Website by Wakefield Website Design.co.uk