100 Years of Wakefield Historical Society.
If you had been in this very room 100 years ago, on the 19th of December 1924, just five days from today, you would have been present at the very founding of our Society. Back in 1974 on our 50th anniversary only one person remained who had been at that inaugural meeting, Miss Kathleen Eastwood, of course none of those original members are now with us, but in the Chair was the then Mayor of the City and it is an honour to have his successor with us today.
In preparing this paper it called to my mind the quotation by the great English historian G.M. Trevelyan;
The poetry of history lies in the quasi-miraculous fact that once, on this familiar plot of ground walked other men and women, as actual as we are today, thinking their own thoughts swayed by their own passions, but now all gone, one generation vanishing after another, gone as utterly as we ourselves shall shortly be gone like ghosts at cock crow.
On this rather somber note we move to our story, of this our Society as told through the surviving letters, newspaper cuttings and the precious Minute Books all of which survive, with a little touch of that flawed record, memory. It has however to be an incomplete and in the end a rather personal account, for which I apologise. Another person might tell a slightly different story, viewed from a different perspective.
Wakefield came rather late to forming an historical society compared to its nearby towns, for instance, Huddersfield had its Archaeological and Topographical Association by 1863 and this evolved into the Yorkshire Archaeological Society in 1870, Halifax Antiquarian Society was founded in 1901 and the Bradford Historical and Antiquarian Society even earlier in 1878. Even Leeds had The Thoresby Society (named after its pioneer local historian Ralph Thoresby) formed in1889. All of these societies flourish and publish to this day.
Wakefield has curiously, despite its status as County town and city (since 1888) and with its historical background, touching on national themes, being rather late in coming to the study of its own history, whilst neighboring towns such as Leeds had a published history by 1715, Ralph Thoresby’s, Ducatis Leodiensis and Halifax in 1775 when John Watson published his volume The History and Antiquaries of Halifax. Wakefield had, despite that indefatigable printer and historian, Thomas Gent’s brief notice in a 1733 book purporting to be on Ripon, the gossipy John Hewitt in his1862 History, the admirable but travelogue style of W.S. Banks in 1871, in his Walks About Wakefield and the esoteric Thomas Taylor’s History of Wakefield, The Rectory Manor, to wait until as late as 1934 for our own J.W. Walker to publish a chronological and more complete history of our town and city. This was later re-published, extended to two volumes in 1939. Despite its flaws this remains a readable account, although causing a kind of block for anyone attempting a comprehensive history of the city ever since. Although it has to be said that it seems such types of chronological histories are now out of fashion, “aspects” of history being preferred by the publisher and reading public. History in digestible chunks!
What the motivation to form our Society in 1924 was is hard to discern at this distance and the Minute Books do not reveal. However, it must be recalled that the Great War in which so many will have had relatives affected by the conflict, must have left them with a longing for past moments. The losses in Wakefield as elsewhere were great. So, this gave an impetus to reflect on times past, possibly seen as “better” times.
Whatever the reason, it appears to be, to what I like to term “our founding fathers” J. W. Walker and H.C (Harry) Haldane that the idea to form an Historical Society sprang.
Walker, who had been an eminent doctor in the city as well as an established historian, having given short papers on aspects of our city. He had been a member of the Yorkshire Archaeological Society since the 1880s and editing volumes for the Record Series of that society and had indeed undertaken some small-scale excavations at Sandal Castle which he published in 1894.
At the 50th anniversary in 1974, Miss Eastwood recalled Dr. Walker joking that he had assisted at many births and that he was there to assist at the birth of a new society.
H.C. (Harry) Haldane, was a local farmer and landowner who lived at historic Clarke Hall, surrounded by a collection of antiquities that included armour and a sword supposedly found near the site of the 1460 skirmish at Wakefield as well as Robin Hood’s supposed longbow, now at Cannon Hall. Here we see him, splendidly attired probably in 1933 for The Wakefield and West Riding Pageant where he was Chairman of Episode III, “The Coming of the Normans and the De Warenne Family to Wakefield”. Here I must thank his grandson Alisdair Haldane for the use of the image. Here in later life he is seen holding the bow of Robin Hood.
Both were Fellows of the Society of Antiquaries of London, the second oldest Royal Society founded in 1707 and they formed the newly proposed Wakefield society around the way that the ancient Society was administered, and this is still reflected in our Rules and administration to this day.
At this first meeting a paper was read by J.W. Walker on Wakefield Town Life in the 15th and 16th Centuries and this was published in the Wakefield Express the following day and reprinted, possibly our first venture into publication. Walker had previously spoken and written short papers on Wakefield in 1892 and 1900.
The Minute books record some of those present at the early meetings, but only those holding office or on Council, so it is difficult to compile an estimate of numbers of the early members or their composition. We do know that at the first meeting as the Minute Book tells us was, John Charlesworth a local historian of repute, Alderman A. I. Eccleston who collected books on the area which turn up from time to time with his distinctive Cross Square bookplate and Mr G. Newell. However, in those early days it was very much a social gathering of prominent local residents, with no doubt an interest in history or in harking back to what might have been considered a better past. Some perhaps just enjoyed the social contact of local people. An early record from 1929/30 gives some idea of the names and status of early active members.
To return to a quotation, or possibly a misquote, it was Henry Ford who is reputed to have said that History is more or less bunk. We of course know that this is certainly not correct, or perhaps it is in one sense, in that history is viewed through the lens of the current times and this applies a distortion based on the thoughts and mores at the time of research. So, we see much revisionist studies of historical periods and mores. Thus, it is with a society such as ours, its activities reflect the decades that it was living through. So rather like geological time our society has phases that seem to divide it.
Those pre-war years of the 1920s and 1930s were a time of social activities, rather grand dinners with elaborate menus and with the lesser private car ownership, excursions often to far distant places with interesting historical connections.
There was in the mid 1930’s very real concern within the Society for the seventeenth century timber framed building, dated 1631, in Kirkgate known as “Six Chimneys”, despite dire warnings from our old friend H.C. Haldane, all efforts were in vain and the building partially collapsed in 1941 and was demolished, the final bay going in 1960. During this period in the 1930s the Society contributed to the Chantry Chapel restoration fund.
Some discussion took place in Council on possible archaeological excavations at Kirkthorpe and Lowe Hill but at this time nothing came of these.
During the Second World War it is perhaps surprising that the Society appears to have carried on much as normal, with little mention of the conflict contained within the Minute books. In March of 1940 they recorded that they hoped it would be possible to continue a normal programme during the war. So lectures and even excursions, although of perhaps a shorter distance were maintained. However, by 1944/5 it was becoming more difficult and the Hon. Excursion Secretary reported in 1945 that he would arrange at least one excursion, where public transport vehicles could be used.
It was in the midst of the war, in March 1943 that the President, J.W. Walker presented a paper “Robin Hood and his Connections with Wakefield” and in 1945 the Society commissioned a painting of “Wakefield from Newton Hill” by Fred Jones for presentation to the President to mark his Diamond Wedding Anniversary. The picture survives and indeed was reproduced by the Society in later years, but the attractive view is regrettably much changed by all of the rather lamentable modern building on the surrounding fields.
The post war years of the 1950s, whilst a period of austerity, saw the activities of the Society maintained, but apparent is a growing concern for what we would term the environment of the city and its more ancient buildings and features that were being despoiled by the Council and developers.
The Minute Book of January 1953 recorded the sad news of the death of the Hon. Life President J.W. Walker, the end of an era in the history of the Society. At the AGM in April the Provost of Wakefield gave an Appreciation of the work of J.W. Walker.
Into the 1950s the lectures and grand dinners were maintained and in 1953 the Earl and Countess of Rosse were the principal guests. The concerns about our built environment continued to grow and at the AGM and Annual Dinners the then President never failed to lambast the Council about some failing or other and these statements were avidly reported in the pages of the local paper, The Wakefield Express.
It was also in 1952/3 that the “age of excavation” dawned within the Society when Brian Hope-Taylor was invited to excavate the medieval motte and bailey site at Lowe Hill, £500 being raised for this and a report being published by the Society on the findings. A lesser excavation also took place on Lupset Golf Course, on “early pit dwellings of the Azilian age”, this according to the Minute Book.
This precipitated the move into the 1960s that really was the period of excavation. The Society joined with Wakefield Council and Leeds University to undertake what turned out to be a major 10-year project, 1964 to 1974 to archaeologically excavate the remains of Sandal Castle. This was led by archaeologists, Phil Mayes and Lawrence Butler and became a real turning point for the Society with the interest created, although the Sandal Castle excavations were an immense challenge for the Society in providing funds and manpower. The then Hon Treasurer, Brenda Andrassy was involved in much extra work and rose to the occasion with a multitude of fund-raising activities and was always open to the financial demands placed upon the Society by the archaeological team. The project involved a large number of local people, including many school children with schools participating, this led to a rise in membership and a general interest within the city in archaeology.
This endeavor took the Society into the 1970s and to 1974 which as well as seeing the end of the excavations saw the 50th anniversary of the Society.
There had on occasion been minor controversy within the Society, some recorded in the Minute Books and some not. Late 1972 was to see a contested election for President and this saw Eric Raper elected President, a post that he was to hold for some 8 years, at the same time I was to be elected Hon. Secretary at the 1973 AGM.
The 1970s and 1980s also saw significant developments in publishing within the Society. Publication had from the beginning been an occasional thread running through the Society’s genes, but once again we were late in publishing an annual Journal compared to our nearby local societies, who had a distinguished record from early in the century. There had been a proposal in 1939 that the Society might publish a Journal and it was suggested that an editorial committee be formed. In the event the proposed publication never happened, perhaps a casualty of the forthcoming war. This lapse was remedied in 1974 with the publication of our first Journal. It contained contributions by our members and provided a first opportunity for publication for many.
The grand tradition of dinners continued, one in 1974 at Bolton Castle to mark the completion of the Sandal Castle excavations. This was arranged with a menu compiled by our member Peter Brears and many members attended in 17th century costume and it was an unusual looking coach load that made its way to the event.
A further dinner to mark the 50th anniversary of the Society in late 1974 was attended by Henry Walker, son of our founding President and he presented to the Society the querns featured in Wakefield, its history and its people, p.18. These were lodged with Wakefield Museum, where they remain.
The interest in archaeology during the period of the Sandal excavations was undimmed and led to the formation of an Archaeology Group under the leadership of Ken Bartlett. They did sterling work with excavations in Kirkgate, Hasledon Hall and John Bunny’s house which always led to the publication of detailed reports often produced on a Gestetner duplicator printer on our dining room table.
At this time also a small friendly group operated at Sandal Church looking into the Parish records. Meeting weekly in the Vestry they explored aspects of the Parish, and one result was a detailed tracing of the Tithe map.
The 1970s also saw concern for buildings within the city, perhaps most notably the Elizabethan Grammar School building which was once again under threat. The vigorous campaign waged through letters and the local papers was successful in saving the building for posterity, let us hope this remains a success story and posterity is grateful?
The publication of the Journal was discussed in Council, and some disagreed with its publication stating that resources might be better spent, however following discussion this was overruled and the publication continued.
1975 had been designated as European Architectural Heritage Year (EAHY) and the Society and its members participated locally in this momentous year. A group was formed covering the district, meeting at Heath Hall. Area and Town Trails were published and a further outcome was the publication of two still useful volumes of articles by a variety of authors, edited by a future President Kate Taylor, on the buildings within the WMDC area.
Throughout this period the social side of the Society flourished with lectures, excursions, and dinners, if perhaps not so grand as in the earlier days. We also ventured into other aspects, for instance exhibiting at the Wakefield Flower Show as well as holding fund-raising garden parties.
In 1976 a decision was made to publish as the Journal for that year The Clarke Drawings of Wakefield, these being original unpublished 1890s drawings of Wakefield contained in a unique copy of Banks Walks About Wakefield in the Wakefield Council library.
In the event this proved very popular and was a commercial success that enabled in 1978 the Society to form Wakefield Historical Publications in partnership with WMDC, a joint publishing and financial venture. This was established to publish volumes of regional significance. The first volume was The Coal Kings of Yorkshire by John Goodchild in 1978. WHP went on to publish many significant volumes and continues to operate to the present time.
No account of the Society would be complete without a mention of John Goodchild, whose vast archive collection and incomparable knowledge of local history benefited the Society for very many years. John was briefly Excursion Secretary in the 1960s and a Vice-President, as well as being a Council member for very many years, his contribution to Society activities and stature was immense. Upon his death in 2017 he bequeathed his Collection to Wakefield Council for the use of the people of the area and this is now safely housed at the WYAS History Centre in Kirkgate for all to use.
Members also took part in a small scale excavation of St Swithin’s Chantry in the fields below Clarke Hall, now covered by modern housing. Our current President led the “dig”, seen here with some of the finds.
Also, in 1978 the Society was one the founding partners in the Gissing Trust, set up to preserve and use the birthplace premises of George Gissing in Thompsons Yard. It was here our member Clifford Brook was so influential in involving prestigious Gissing scholars to join forces to save the rooms. This proved successful in furnishing the rooms in a fitting manner and the Gissing Trust still opens these premises for public view.
As we moved into the 1980s the Society prospered, membership remained steady at around the 200+ mark and an event occurred that was not greatly commented on at the time. This was the election, in 1981 of our first woman President, this was Heather Lawrence. Heather was a distinguished historian having written on Yorkshire Pottery and the first major biography of mapmaker Christopher Saxton.
Here it may be opportune to reflect on the good fortune we have had in our Presidents and the leadership they have provided over the one hundred years, these are listed here, some having been already mentioned. We of course start with:
J.W Walker 1924 – 1948 and being made Hon. Life President until his death in 1953.
H.C. Haldane 1953 to 1958, although often standing in at meetings prior to this as Acting President.
Captain W.A. Craven 1958 to 1968
Harold Speak 1968-1971
Norman Stephenson 1971-1973
Eric Raper 1973 -1981
Heather Lawrence 1981 1983
Douglas Hallam 1983-1986
Margaret Ashworth 1986-1992
Coral (Kate) Taylor 1992- 2000
Michael Kent 2000-2003
Coral (Kate) Taylor 2003-2012
Pam Judkins 2012 to present.
So, it can be seen that we have had a number of distinguished women Presidents since Heather and from the early days to the present many women served as Officers and members of Council.
It was with some relief and acclaim that in 1984 we saw the final culmination of the Sandal Castle excavations with the publication by WHP of the full and major report on the ten year excavations, this had been achieved after much effort on the part of the members of WHP, the Chief Librarian of Wakefield Joe Feiweless as well as member and then Keeper of Archaeology Pam Judkins. This was completed after not a little effort and dispute, that only those involved can speak of, but the publication was finally and triumphally launched at Wakefield Museum by Magnus Magnusson of Mastermind fame.
So, the 1980s flowed into the 1990s with the Society holding its own in terms of membership and events that continued with the lecture programme in the Winter months and excursions, if perhaps a little less adventurous than previously, in the Summer. Over this period John Goodchild arranged courses on various aspects of local history that were invariably well attended. It might be described as a period of consolidation, looking back to past events, and looking to a new chapter.
The usual sorts of activities were maintained, the Society participated in the formation of the Friends of the Chantry Chapel and as always remained concerned about the future of the Listed Buildings within the City. Inevitably over the years there were successes and failures. The Gissing House, Elizabethan Grammar School and Pemberton Milnes house in Westgate were saved, but other buildings, such as the original Chantry Chapel front at Kettlethorpe. The Manse for the Westgate Unitarian Chapel and timber framed buildings in Westgate, Northgate and Kirkgate were lost over the years
There were grave concerns over the ill-advised Welbeck Reclamation and Landfill Project. Our then President, Kate Taylor gave evidence at the public enquiry and there were real worries for the historic site of Newland, formerly a Preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers and the location of a ruined country estate that lay in the area of the scheme. All the more poignant as John Goodchild has in his Collection the whole of the documentation for the site, from the medieval period to the early 20th century. This was all proved to be in vain and the project went ahead causing concerns for residents of the area that exist to the present time
But challenging times lay ahead for all societies in the new Millenium. Times were, as they say, a changing.
There were now more diversions to tempt people away from going out on an evening in possibly dismal weather. The multi-channel TV age was dawning along with the internet that challenged accepted research methods and presented apparently easier access to, even if a chimera, of information. Alongside a seeming thralldom to US tech giants. It seemed as though the striking demographic changes allied to the new social media were lessening interest in local history, or at least changing the focus of those that were interested.
However, as always, the Society rose to the challenge and moved into the digital age. We joined Twitter (now for some reason called “X”) and Facebook and created our own website to disseminate information on the Society and its activities. This period in the Society may be thought of as the age of Projects, with members, under the guidance of our President, Pam Judkins and Hon Secretary, joining research and activity based projects, these included Richard, Duke of York, the Road to Fotheringay, Wakefield Waterfront Project and undertaking research on buildings for the Westgate HAZ Scheme. These ideas continue with the next such project, Wood Street, Heart of Wakefield plan, with Wakefield Civic Society and Leeds Beckett University. A recent project was the transcription of the curious document, The Battle of Newland, this caused not a little amusement as it was transcribed by members and its background and authorship has only recently been revealed. Groups of members research documents at the WYAS History Centre in Kirkgate and it is hoped to expand these participatory activities.
The greatest threat and challenge to the Society’s future, certainly since WWII, arose with Covid and the lock-downs of March 2020 into 2021. Where could we turn to retain the Society’s profile and membership through this period of isolation? Well under the guidance of our President, Pam Judkins we developed further our internet capabilities and offered the wonders of Zoom for Council meetings and eventually lectures. So, the Society emerged possibly stronger and with the membership numbers not too adversely affected and indeed an opportunity to extend our offering to a membership interested in Wakefield but further afield.
So in our 100th year the Society thrives, still reaching out to members with its lecture series, projects, a healthy publishing programme and a lively and hopefully friendly membership. We need to expand our membership and this is the task of all members. The Society is its membership and for all of our past history is nothing without it, meaning you.
Through our 100 years the golden thread that has run through the Society are its Presidents and Hon. Secretaries working with an active and interested Council. Our “founding fathers” might be pleased with our achievements if possibly a little surprised that we continue to thrive in such a changed age, one that they might hardly recognise. Who can foresee the next 100 years in this constantly changing World, but we have so far survived War, Plague and Austerity so we have not done too badly.
So, I end with a toast (even if we have no glasses) to the next 100 years in the life of the Society and to “absent friends”, all of those who have gone before.
Richard Knowles FSA.
©Richard Knowles 2024
Back to ‘Our Centenary Year’ page
