Summary of Events

Events during our Centenary Year 2024

Centenary Event Wednesday 24th January: ‘The Future of History is Within You: the next histories of Wakefield’ by Gary Brannan. Wakefield Historical Society Meeting in conjunction with Wakefield Civic Society. 

We were delighted to start our Centenary Year off with a keynote lecture by Gary Brannan, ‘The Future of History is Within You: the next histories of Wakefield’. Gary is at present Keeper of Archives and Special Collections at the Borthwick Institute in York, but had previously been an archivist at West Yorkshire Archives in Wakefield.

Gary described some of the achievements of our Society over the last hundred years, and how they had contributed so much to preserving Wakefield’s history.

Gary challenged the audience to ‘tell the story’, by using all the different resources around them. He encouraged the audience to look at recent history – to research the history of Wakefield and to take on difficult topics which people may not wish to. He emphasised the richness and unique nature of some of the resources that are available to us all.

Gary described ways that we could broaden communication of our research, not just by written documents, but by podcasts, photos, walking tours and other methods. He summed up by saying that future histories should be recorded by us (‘if not us, who? If not now, when?’) and should be firmly based on evidence using diverse resources.

Centenary Event Friday 16th February: ‘Wakefield Gingerbreads: Spicey Life in Wakefield’, talk by Peter Brears at Wakefield Town Hall

The audience were greeted with tables set out with eighteen different samples of gingerbread. Peter Brears had cooked and prepared the earlier examples, while members of the Historical Society had cooked more recent recipes. His knowledge of the subject as a renowned food historian is unparalleled, and his links to Wakefield made his talk particularly relevant to the audience.

Peter related how gingerbread was a speciality of Wakefield for over two hundred years, and that he remembered in the 1960s going into Gosnay’s shop on Northgate which still had glass panels over the beams etched with ‘Wakefield Gingerbread’ in gold.

Peter explained that ginger was widely used from the early medieval period: it was considerably cheaper than other spices such as nutmeg, and the roots could be dried in the sun and transported easily. The earliest known recipe was from a cookbook of 1390. The samples Peter had prepared therefore covered 600 years of recipes.

The first record of ‘Wakefield gingerbread’ dates from 1746. An eighteenth century gingerbread recipe by Lady St Oswald of Nostell was less sweet and hard like a biscuit; it needed to be stored in a slightly damp atmosphere like a cellar until it was eatable, locally this was called ‘coming again’.  Peter had cooked this gingerbread last October and it was only ready to be eaten in January.

From the 1870s when yeast or a raising agent were used, professional bakers started to cook and sell it widely. The recipes were often kept secret and therefore not recorded. The earliest known confectioner to make ‘Wakefield Gingerbread’ was Joseph Simpson of Kirkgate, known to have established his business by 1823.

As Peter’s audience ‘ate’ its way through 600 years of history, they were also provided with milk, which has been a traditional accompaniment for the spicey ginger. Booklets written by Peter were given to all members of the audience containing the history of Wakefield gingerbread and the recipes.

Centenary Event Wednesday 13th March: AGM and talk ‘Fanny Whitehead and the Alverthorpe Textile Workers’ Strike.’ West Yorkshire History Centre, Wakefield.

The well-attended meeting started with the AGM, when our President and Council were re-elected, and reports were made on various aspects of the Society including the Gissing Centre and Wakefield Historical Publications.

Our President, Pam Judkins, reported on the possible sale to the Metropolitan Museum in New York of a medieval ivory sculpture that was found in Wakefield in the 18th century.  The Victoria and Albert Museum are trying to raise £2 million before a June deadline to keep it in their collection. Much discussion ensued as to how this could be publicised, and how the Society could help.

This was followed by a short talk, ‘Fanny Whitehead and the Alverthorpe Textile Workers’ Strike’ by Shirley Levon. The Society had been sent a booklet about two textile workers who had been taken to court for obstructing the highway during a strike in 1889. The background to the strike at Colbeck Bros. mill at Alverthorpe was described, and the progress of unionisation in the textile industry at the end of the 19th century. Documents from the West Yorkshire History Centre that had been used in the research were on display.

Centenary Event Wednesday 10th April: ‘Words about Wakefield: Voices from the Past’

A series of extracts from documents, books and other records were gathered; they were written by individuals expressing their ideas and thoughts about Wakefield for a variety of different reasons. Each offered a brief glimpse into the period and the perspective of the writer. They covered the period from the founding of our City to the present day: some serious, some critical, some humorous and some full of affection.

They were read by volunteers from Wakefield Historical Society at a performance on 10th April 2024, and again at the final Centenary celebration on 14th December. Readers were trained by Aiobheann Kelly, Head of Participation at the Wakefield Theatre Royal.

We hoped that the listeners were intrigued by some of the readings which do not appear in the standard histories of Wakefield.

The readings are available as a PDF: Words about Wakefield: Voices from the Past

Centenary Event Monday 20th May: Launch of ‘Memories of Scott’s Yard: Life in Westgate and Lupset 1926-1949’ by Audrey Keighley, transcribed by Denise Brown.

Wakefield Historical Publications’ new title was launched in the Learning Zone at Wakefield Library as part of their WordFest event.

Our President, Pam Judkins, gave a short talk about the background to the memoir.

Audrey Keighley’s memoir covers her life as a small child in Scott’s Yard in the 1930s, her subsequent life on the Lupset council house estate as a teenager and as a young woman during the second world war. She furnishes a vivid description of those early years and the struggles of her parents to provide for the family.

We were delighted to welcome Denise Brown, who had transcribed her mother’s memoir, and other members of the family. The audience were keen to ask the family questions about the memoir, and to exchange their personal memories.

The book is available through our website: Wakefield Historical Publications

Centenary Event Wednesday 12th June: ‘Wakefield Street Life 1800-1924’ by David Scriven

In his usual fluent and accessible manner David approached the subject of Wakefield streetlife over the nineteenth and early twentieth century, illustrating his themes with a great variety of examples of specific incidents, and using a number of sources.

His well-illustrated talk showed the changing views of the town: improvements on Westgate, the railway arriving on Kirkgate, the pollution of the River Calder due to industrialisation, the market as it moved from one site to another, and the opportunities for entertainment in the town. An image of the Bullring in 1908 drew attention to the number of people working in transport: stage coaches, and then cabs and trams, and later cars and buses.

Heath village outside Wakefield was a popular destination for Wakefield families walking or riding in horse-drawn transport on a Sunday. For others, Sundays were days of worship, and sometimes Sunday scholars from the church or chapel Sunday Schools would process through the streets. Politics also took to the streets with processions or open-air meetings.

Crime was rife on the streets with pickpockets busy in crowded areas, and burglars and graverobbers out at night. Fights were a common feature of the night time streets. In the early nineteenth century punishment also took place in the streets, with floggings in Westgate, the pillory in the Bullring and stocks near the parish church.

Centenary Event Wednesday 10th July: ‘Connecting with Wakefield: trade, manufacture and information in the eighteenth century town’, talk by Gill Cookson, University of Leeds.

 Gill’s talk gave a general introduction to the subject, and then described the local scene of Wakefield within the wider processes of industrialisation. She stressed how important connection was, sharing knowledge and innovation within the community. Change was everywhere, with innovation not just in machinery, but in the use of materials, skills, premises, commerce and the setting up of new systems. Most change happened in workshops in the 18th century, responding to industrial needs with new systems running alongside the old systems.

Wakefield had been a hub for the wool trade, which was in full flow by the end of the 16th century. The main route was from Kendal and Cumbria, through the Yorkshire Dales to Wakefield, Hull and London, and to retailers in the Midlands. The development of the Aire and Calder Navigation and the Calder and Hebble Navigation were vitally important to improve transport.

John Brearley’s memorandum books written between 1750 and 1770 illustrated that “a public mill was a knowledge exchange”. He was a frizzer (fuller) with a mill at Wakefield whose books consist of notes about his own mill, local people, and local trade.

John Smeaton, regarded as the first civil engineer, is known for his work on the Eddystone Lighthouse, but he was also involved in many projects locally: he superintended projects on the Calder and Hebble Navigation between 1760 and 1770, and on the Aire and Calder Navigation between 1775 and 1779. He designed watermills and windmills at Wakefield.

Gill’s excellent talk gave a wide perspective on industrial developments in the 18th century both nationally and locally, describing how change happened and the importance of connections.

Centenary Event Saturday 14th September: Heritage Open Day at West Yorkshire History Centre.Exploring Routes, Networks and Connections’.

Wakefield Historical Society was delighted to collaborate with West Yorkshire History Centre and Wakefield Local Studies Library for a heritage event at the West Yorkshire History Centre.  A display of maps, plans and other documents was open for visitors to explore in the search room, and the conservation studio was also open to explore.

Lesley Taylor from our Society gave two talks on maps, plans and prospects of Wakefield and area before the 1850s by which time the Ordnance Survey was providing the basis of much of our mapping.  Her aim was to show something of who created them, why they were made, and what they tell us.

By the late seventeenth century, a curiosity to know more about the inland parts of Britain was emerging and William Lodge’s ‘Prospect of Wakefield as it appears from the London Road’, used on our Historical Society’s banner, was a first representation of the town viewed from the river side. She listed other Prospects and maps, how they were funded and who surveyed them.

Meanwhile, by 1771 Pape had created an ‘exact’ plan of Wakefield which was on display in the Archive’s search room. Lesley asked visitors to study this plan and try to understand why it had been made.

The afternoon session started by considering a likely explanation of the purpose of Pape’s simple plan which may have been to show the issues of traffic through the town. The Wakefield Enclosure Act of 1793 required extremely detailed plans of the whole parish of Wakefield which combined with the surveyor’s notebooks are full of information.  County maps, such as that of Jeffery’s of the 1770s and Christopher Greenwood in 1815-17 had begun to show more of the main layout of the town. John Walker’s well-known plan of the town in 1823 is very elegant, celebrating new aspects of the town in a display of civic pride. Lesley also picked out some sale plans of which there are very many as the century progressed.

Lesley’s two talks illustrated the wealth of pre-1850s material at the West Yorkshire History Centre, and many people were surprised to find so many maps, plans and prospects of Wakefield available.

Centenary Event Saturday 19th October: ‘Sausages, Smoked Ham and Streaky Bacon Spelled Success for 19th century immigrants to Wakefield’ by Karl-Heinz Wüstner

Wakefield Historical Society was delighted to welcome Karl-Heinz Wüstner to give a talk about German butchers. He explained that there were three periods of immigration to Britain between 1790 and about 1905 from the Hohenlohe region of Germany, prompted by crop failures, political unrest, population growth and the threat of compulsory military service. There was great demand for the butchers’ products in the fast-growing industrial cities of the North of England. Ham, bacon, pork, sausages and pies all provided ready meals at the end of a working day. Butchers advertised their products with shop windows vying with fine displays to attract custom.

The two World Wars caused anti-German feeling; shops were wrecked and looted. Many Germans were interned in places like the camp at Lofthouse Park. Ziegler, a Wakefield butcher, published a plea in the local newspaper declaring his loyalty. He later achieved great success with shops across the north of England, and was one of the partners in Farm Stores, which entered into partnership with Associated Dairies, becoming the present supermarket chain Asda.

Although Hofmann’s is the only butcher remaining in Wakefield whose family originated in Germany, many of us remember others. With reference to the subject the audience were treated to pieces of Hofmann’s pork pie.

An excellent and entertaining talk that shed light on the origins of some Wakefield butchers.

Centenary Event Wednesday 23rd October: ‘Joseph Aspdin and the production of Portland Cement in Wakefield’ by Professor Ian Richardson. Wakefield Town Hall,

Professor Richardson’s talk detailed his research, with other contributors, Xiaohong Zhu, Paul L Dawson, Phil Judkins and Mark J Richardson, to prove that Portland Cement had first been commercially produced in Wakefield at Aspdin’s cement works near Kirkgate Station.

Professor Richardson first showed an image of the original patent (no. 5022) and seal from 1824, and gave some background to Aspdin’s family.

The ‘Wakefield Arms’ public house, close to Kirkgate station, had been listed Grade ll as it was claimed to be ‘the only surviving example of a building covered with Joseph Aspdin’s patent Portland cement’. Much research was conducted using archival documents and maps to discover when it had been built and later alterations. Seven samples were taken of the render and one sample was subjected to detailed analysis of the microstructure. The conclusion was that the render was made in the 19th century using Portland cement and that it was likely that Aspdin developed Portland cement in Hunslet, but the first dedicated Portland cement works in the world was, indeed, in Wakefield.

The audience, which included descendants of the Aspdin family and a former landlady of the Wakefield Arms, were captivated by the story of the research, and delighted that Wakefield could claim another ‘first’ – as the ‘birthplace’ of Portland cement.

Centenary Event Tuesday 12th November:  From Lucy Hanlon to Mabel Matthews A.I.E.E., or: how a Wakefield-born woman helped electrify Britain.’  by Professor Graeme Gooday and Dr Katie Carpenter.

Katie Carpenter introduced the subject, providing background to the involvement of women in electrical engineering. This is being celebrated in 2024 by ‘Electric Dreams: a Festival of Womanpower’.

In the 19th century the Industrial Revolution had brought about mass production, which included ‘gadgets’ for domestic use. During those years there was a surge in the number of middle-class women in the home and the demand for labour-saving devices grew. Advice was provided by women demonstrating their use, and popular manuals were published. During WW1 women were employed in many engineering roles that had previously been held by men.

In 1924 the Electrical Association for Women was developed and the first meeting was held on 12 November 1924. Thus, the day of these talks to our Society fell on the centenary of that first meeting.

Graeme Gooday described the early life of Lucy Mabel Matthews. She was born Mabel Lucy Hanlon on Elm Street in Wakefield in 1879. Her parents then moved to Cheshire and Mabel married Richard Matthews in 1901. She was widowed in 1909 and by 1922 she was working in the electrical department of the Consolidated Pneumatic Tool Co, where she progressively took over both the sales activity and then the management of the department.

The Electrical Association for Women was keen to promote the uses of labour-saving devices such as sweepers, dishwashers etc. to lighten the load on women and enable them to do their own housework. It wished to create jobs for women as demonstrators, overcome women’s doubts, create customers and thus the demand for electricity during the daytime.

Regional groups were set up, with the first meeting of the Leeds EAW in 1925, although a Wakefield group was only established in 1953

After the two talks, Kevin Trickett, President of Wakefield Civic Society, explained that a blue plaque had been made to commemorate Lucy Mabel Matthews which would be attached on the wall of Lightwaves centre, close to where Elm Street had once existed. It was unveiled by Graeme Gooday and Katie Carpenter.

It was fascinating to learn about a Wakefield-born woman who had achieved so much in her lifetime.

Centenary Celebration event, Saturday 14th December, Wakefield Town Hall, 10.30am – 4pm.

The final meeting of our Centenary year was held at the Town Hall on Saturday which was where the founding meeting of our Society was held on 19th December 1924. We were delighted to be joined by the grandson of Dr. J. W Walker, the first President of the Society, who displayed his original scrapbook and other documents.

We were joined by our colleagues in the Civic Society who celebrated their 60th anniversary in March. A blue plaque, funded by the Council, which commemorates the founding of the two societies, was unveiled.

The event was attended by the Mayor of Wakefield, Councillor Darren Byford who was presented with recent publications by our Society. Talks were provided by Richard Knowles about the history of our Society, and David Hunter, County Archaeologist.

Following an excellent buffet Society members gave readings of ‘Words about Wakefield: Voices from the Past‘ previously performed on 10th April.

We enjoyed short presentations by other local groups who had been invited to talk about their activities. The afternoon was rounded off by enjoying a magnificent cake made by Karen Wright.

It was certainly a worthy ending to our year of Centenary events! Our thanks are due to our President, Pam Judkins, who organised both this event and others during the course of the year.

Back to:  ‘Our Centenary Year’

The banner at the top of this page is based on an engraving of Wakefield by Samuel Buck: view original
© 2011 Wakefield Historical Society. All rights reserved. All articles and images are the copyright of the authors and/or Wakefield Historical Society unless otherwise stated and are not to be copied in any medium without explicit written permission..
Every attempt has been made to gain permission from the owner(s) of copyright material.
The Society is not to be held responsible for the accuracy of content, and does not necessarily endorse views held on this site.If you find broken links or other website problems please contact the Website Manager : info@wakefieldhistoricalsociety.org.uk

Wakefield Historical Society © 2026. All rights reserved | Registered charity No. 248363
Website by Wakefield Website Design.co.uk