Chantry Chapel

Chantry Chapel Wakefield

Ruins of the Duke of York’s Chapel, Wakefield Bridge
by Richard Ramsay Reinagle
 (1775-1862)

© The Hepworth, Wakefield

The Chantry Chapel of St Mary the Virgin was built in the mid 14th century when the stone bridge replaced a wooden one. It is one of only three surviving bridge chapels in England and, with the bridge, is a scheduled ancient monument and a Grade I listed building. The original stonework can be seen at the base, although the upper part, including the west front, was rebuilt in 1847-8.

The Friends of Wakefield Chantry Chapel, established in 1990 in collaboration with the Civic Society, exist to ensure the chapel is kept in good repair and is made available to visitors. In 1995 major roof repairs were carried out, and the building was re-wired and new lighting and heating systems were installed. Recently the interior has undergone substantial reordering with the removal of pew platforms, a new stone floor and new seating. The Chantry is now under the authority of the Dean and Chapter of Wakefield Cathedral.

There are open days at public-holiday weekends and group visits can be arranged by appointment at other times.

To find more information about the history of Chantry Chapel and events held there see:

Facebook: Chantry Chapel

Chantry Chapel Wakefield

The banner at the top of this page is based on an engraving of Wakefield by Samuel Buck: view original
© 2011 Wakefield Historical Society. All rights reserved. All articles and images are the copyright of the authors and/or Wakefield Historical Society unless otherwise stated and are not to be copied in any medium without explicit written permission..
Every attempt has been made to gain permission from the owner(s) of copyright material.
The Society is not to be held responsible for the accuracy of content, and does not necessarily endorse views held on this site.If you find broken links or other website problems please contact the Website Manager : info@wakefieldhistoricalsociety.org.uk

Wakefield Historical Society © 2020. All rights reserved | Registered charity No. 248363
Website by Wakefield Website Design.co.uk