Celebrating the Life of Smeaton at St Mary’s Church Whitkirk

Date: 7 June 2024 – 9 June 2024
Cost: FREE
Venue: St Mary’s Church, Whitkirk, St Mary’s Church, Whitkirk Selby Rd Whitkirk Leeds LS15 0AA

St Mary’s Church, Whitkirk have organised a celebration weekend of the life of John Smeaton FRS on the 300th anniversary of his birth. The church and exhibition will be open throughout the weekend and refreshments will be available.

John Smeaton (8th June 1724 – 28th October 1792) was born and died in the family house in the Austhorpe area of the parish of Whitkirk and buried at St Mary’s Church. His tomb lies beneath the altar, and there is a small plaque on the floor to mark the location. On the north wall of the Church, above the sanctuary, there is a larger stone memorial to John Smeaton and his wife.

St Mary’s Church, Whitkirk can be contacted at hello@whitkirkchurch.org.uk or on 0113 264 5790.

The book written by two of our members, Lesley Taylor and Shirley Levon: ‘John Smeaton and the Calder Navigation‘ will be available to buy at the event.

More information: Celebrating the Life of Smeaton at St Mary’s Church Whitkirk

Leave a comment

The banner at the top of this page is based on an engraving of Wakefield by Samuel Buck: view original
© 2011 Wakefield Historical Society. All rights reserved. All articles and images are the copyright of the authors and/or Wakefield Historical Society unless otherwise stated and are not to be copied in any medium without explicit written permission..
Every attempt has been made to gain permission from the owner(s) of copyright material.
The Society is not to be held responsible for the accuracy of content, and does not necessarily endorse views held on this site.If you find broken links or other website problems please contact the Website Manager : info@wakefieldhistoricalsociety.org.uk

Wakefield Historical Society © 2026. All rights reserved | Registered charity No. 248363
Website by Wakefield Website Design.co.uk