Celebrating Smeaton in Whitkirk near Leeds, 7th, 8th, 9th June

Summary of the event commemorating the Tricentenary of John Smeaton at St Mary’s Whitkirk. John Smeaton was the engineer for the Upper Calder Navigation from Wakefield to Sowerby Bridge 1760-1763.

On 8th June 1724 John Smeaton, often called the ‘father of civil engineering’, was born at Whitkirk, a village on the Selby road near Temple Newsam. Three hundred years later the local community organised a weekend of celebrations to remember the village’s famous son.

On Friday evening there was a lecture about Smeaton’s life. His family home was at Austhorpe Hall in Whitkirk and a general account of his life was the first lecture on Friday evening by members of the East Leeds Historical Society. On Saturday there were two excellent lectures, the first entitled ‘The Astronomy of John Smeaton’, given by David Sellers, astronomical historian and Fellow of the Astronomical Society. Astronomy has been a little explored aspect of Smeaton’s innovative work. The afternoon lecture was given by Juiia Elton, engineering historian and honorary member of the Smeatonian Society of Civil Engineers. Her subject was the ‘Making of an Engineering Genius’ in which she covered not only Smeaton’s desire to experiment and learn throughout his life, but also the enormous array of engineering projects which justly earned him his title as ‘the Father of Civil Engineering’.

The event took place in a modern church hall with all facilities, and refreshments were available  throughout Saturday. The beautiful medieval church of St Mary next door, with its memorial to Smeaton, was open for much of the weekend, and services were held there on Saturday evening and Sunday morning to mark the life of the engineer. Guided walks were also taken round Temple Newsam and grounds to look at Smeaton’s work there.

A commemorative edition of a book entitled ‘Smeaton of Austhorpe’ was on sale, as was the Wakefield Historical Publication ‘Smeaton and the Calder Navigation’ by Lesley Taylor and Shirley Levon.

The memorial at St Mary’s Church Whitkirk reads:

Sacred to the Memory of John Smeaton F.R.S

A Man, whom God had endowed with the most extraordinary Abilities, which he indefatigably exerted for the benefit of Mankind, in works of Science and philosophical research; More especially as an Engineer and a Mechanic. His principal work the Edystone Light-house, erected on a rock in the open Sea. (Where one had been washed away by the violence of a storm. And another had been consumed by the rage of fire) Secure in its own stability, and in the wise precautions for its safety, seems not unlikely to convey to distant Ages, As it does to every nation of the Globe, The name of its Constructor.

He was born at Austhorpe, June 8th 1724.
And departed this Life October 28th 1792.

Photograph courtesy of Lesley Taylor

Leave a comment

The banner at the top of this page is based on an engraving of Wakefield by Samuel Buck: view original
© 2011 Wakefield Historical Society. All rights reserved. All articles and images are the copyright of the authors and/or Wakefield Historical Society unless otherwise stated and are not to be copied in any medium without explicit written permission..
Every attempt has been made to gain permission from the owner(s) of copyright material.
The Society is not to be held responsible for the accuracy of content, and does not necessarily endorse views held on this site.If you find broken links or other website problems please contact the Website Manager : info@wakefieldhistoricalsociety.org.uk

Wakefield Historical Society © 2026. All rights reserved | Registered charity No. 248363
Website by Wakefield Website Design.co.uk