This work is the Copyright of the author and/or Wakefield Historical Society and is not to be copied in any medium without explicit written permission
Timeline of Wakefield 1930-1940
The decade was, until the outbreak of war, one of expansion and progress, but one should remember too, that it was a period when diseases like Tuberculosis were still rife and Diphtheria and Scarlet Fever could still prove fatal.
More building of housing estates
Increasing motor traffic
1931 Snapethorpe School, Lupset, opened to cater for children on the new Lupset
1932 end of trams.
1933 new bridge opened.
1933 great Wakefield Pageant, 17-24 June.
1933 The English Martyrs Roman Catholic school, Dewsbury Road, opened, again
to cater for children in the Lupset, and Flanshaw area.
1934 Slum clearance. Compulsory purchase order led to demolition of streets and
yards off Providence Street, and Library Yard, Northgate.
1934 Wakefield Municipal Hospital, Snapethorpe, opened on 29 June by Sir E.
Hilton-Young, Minister of Health. This replaced the old (1874) isolation hospital on
Park Lodge Lane, and was for those suffering from notifiable diseases. It had
separate pavilions to accommodate cases of tuberculosis, diphtheria, etc. It was
provided through the generosity of J.B. Sykes and had 97 beds.
1935 9 November, Manygates Maternity Hospital opened. This was a local authority
hospital and replaced the original Wakefield Maternity Hospital which had been on
Blenheim Road and had opened in 1919.
1935 9 December, the Regal Cinema, Kirkgate opened.
1936 6 January, the Savoy Cinema, Horbury Road, opened. This was the last cinema
to be built in Wakefield until the Cineworld Multiplex arrived.
1936 June, the municipal golf course at Lupset opened with Lupset Hall being used
as the Club house.
1936 20 June, Wesley Hall Methodist Chapel, Horbury Road (built very much in the
style of a cinema) opened to serve the Lupset and Thornes area.
1936 26 September, St George’s Church, Lupset, consecrated (built to serve the
growing community on the Lupset housing estate etc.)
1937 11 January, the Fish and Meat Market was opened by the Mayor, George
1937 Preparations for war began
1937 Wakefield celebrated the coronation of George VI in 12 May. There was a
parade of decorated vehicles, a tableau in Clarence Park and a service in Wakefield
Cathedral. Old folks were given a tea in the Drill Hall. At 10pm there was a
1937 Bishop Seaton launched an appeal for £3,000 to restore the Chantry Chapel.
The appeal was relaunched in 1938 by the new Bishop, Bishop Hone.
1938 The municipal swimming baths in Sun Lane were opened by the mayor,
1940 July, the new front (the third!) on Wakefield Chantry Chapel was consecrated.
1940 first bomb fell on Wakefield in December: a 1,000lb bomb fell in Chantry
Road, Lupset, but did not explode. It left a crater 14ft by 8ft.
© Kate Taylor 1999
published on Wakefield Historical Website May 2015